I don’t have much to blog about lately as I am in a frustrating reading slump and can’t seem to stick with any book for longer than 25 pages. There are signs that this slump is on its way out the door, but in the meantime I remembered this meme that Simon at Stuck in a Book introduced many years ago and thought it would be fun to share a few tidbits from my bookish life lately (such as it is).
- The book I’m currently reading: The Virago Book of Ghost Stories edited by Richard Dalby and The Whirlpool by George Gissing – Every year I check out The VIrago Book of Ghost Stories from the library yet, sadly, I never read any of the stories. This year will be different! I’ve already read 4 of the stories and am determined to work my way through them all by the end of the month. Authors who have stories in the book include Elizabeth Bowen, Elizabeth Jenkins, Winifred Holtby, Rose Macaulay, F.M. Mayor…pretty much all the authors we love. I’ll be sure to report back on my progress. And also, again thanks to Darlene, I just started reading The Whirlpool by George Gissing.
- The last book I finished: My Name is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout – I can’t really write about this in any detail since it won’t be published until January, but I can say that I loved it. If you like spare, lyrical writing and completely realistic and memorable characters keep this one on your radar.
- The Next Book I Want to Read: Mrs. Sinclair’s Suitcase by Louise Walters – This has a bookshop, old letters, WWII, and family secrets – I hope it turns out to be as good as it sounds.
- The Last Book I Bought: Kitchen Essays by Agnes Jekyll – I own almost all of the Persephone Classics, but this one has never appealed to me as much as some of the others. However, I’d like to have a complete set so I recently sent away for it.
- The Last Book I was Given: Life at Thrush Green by ‘Miss Read’ – My lovely friend Sara brought an old Penguin edition of this back from England for me.
I’m hopeful that I’ll be back with more regular posts soon!